Greenpower Toyota Classic Results
Forty-four teams from not only Huntsville but across the Southeast were on hand to compete in the Toyota Classic Greenpower F24 Races today on the campus of Jemison / McNair. The event featured two middle school heats and one high school heat.
Greenpower is a STEM based initiative that engages students by using these skills to design, build, and race an electric car. Each team is given a strict set of guidelines and are required to use the same standard motor and batteries in the vehicle. Huntsville City Schools currently has over two dozen schools that have Greenpower programs, with race tracks at Jemison/McNair, Whitesburg, and Grissom campuses.
Greenpower USA, based in Huntsville, started in 2014 to expand STEM related education to students, and now has programs in several states. The Greenpower Initiative began in the United Kingdom in 1999, with programs in not only the U.S., but South Africa, China, and Poland.
Toyota has donated $20,000 to Huntsville City Schools for support of Greenpower races over the last two years. The company has also donated over $30,000 to the Greenpower Foundation which helped to create new programs throughout the state while also providing additional resources to existing teams for racing.
The awards for the event are listed below:
- F24 Intermediate Kit
- 1st Place - Gulf Shores Middle School
- 2nd Place - McNair Jr. High School (Big Blue Wildcats) an all girl team!
- 3rd Place - Huntsville Jr. High School
- F24 Intermediate Modified
- 1st Place - Mt. Gap P-8
- 2nd Place - Long Cane Middle School
- 3rd Place - Challenger Middle School
- F24 Advanced Kit
- 1st Place - Lee/New Century High School
- 2nd Place - Hartselle High School
- F24 Advanced Modified
- 1st Place - Bob Jones High School (The Rival)
- 2nd Place - Grissom High School (Shadow)
- 3rd Place - James Clemens High School (Jets Racing #88)
- F24 Advanced Custom
- 1st Place - Bob Jones High School (The Flash)
- 2nd Place - Grissom High School (Genesis)
- 3rd Place - Huntsville High School (Fate)